Friday, April 2, 2010

free gift.


How many times have you given someone a gift, simply because you love that person? Or because you thought of them that day and just wanted to do something nice for them? I think most of the time we feel pressured to give gifts to people because its Christmas or their birthday and they gave us gifts first. But I think the most precious gift is when someone does it out of nowhere, surprisingly, without anyone asking them to. Sounds very practical, but as today is Good Friday I'm constantly reminded of the free gift Jesus gave for ME, a horrible sinner who didn't deserve any gift at all!!! Can you think of giving someone a gift after they have been awfully mean to you? Probably not. Because your flesh is probably saying, "Why would I give them ANYTHING? They were so mean to me." Yes, true... but Jesus didn't feel that way at all. He freely gave us His life on the cross, for a special reward... eternity with Him.

Jesus didn't want to go through with it though. He proclaimed, "Father..please let this cup pass from me, but nevertheless, not my will but Your will be done." How sweet. I love the fact that Jesus was fearful and not WANTING to do it, but was surrendered and willing to because it was God's command. Humbling. There are many times in my life when God commands me to do something and I don't want to. Some of those times I don't say "Your will be done.." I do my own thing. Sad.

Jesus death on the cross was the perfect portrayal of true love, surrender, obedience, and commitment. How can His children, then, not do any of that in return for Him? I think of my relationship with the Lord and how I keep falling in love with Him....and I can only pray that the desire would be to fall in love with Him MORE as each day continues. I can only pray that I would appreciate His gift of death, so that we could have life. It's the most precious and sacrificial gift of all time.

As I walked back from class today I was a tad discouraged seeing people walking around, and it shocked me as to how many people never acknowledge Easter or Good Friday. So many people didn't go home for it, even. I then started crying almost...wondering, "Lord, why don't they love You?" As I walked on I saw a man, standing on a ledge, preaching the gospel. It was SUCH an encouragement to me. As I got on the bus to go get my car, we stopped at a light and the bus driver went into his backpack, and pulled out his military Bible, reading it at every red light. More encouragement. It was as if Jesus was saying, "Many follow Me and love Me, but many do not. Pray for those." I was blessed.

Daily I'm reminded of the price Christ paid for me... on the cross that night. It's something I sit and wonder, "Would I be able to even do that? To lay my life down for my friends?" We were Jesus' friends way before we even followed Him. He died for us before we even knew Him. Sacrificially. Freely. Out of LOVE. Wow... if that isn't love....what is? That's the whole basis of a relationship with Christ.

May His love abound in me more and more everyday and MY love for Him abound more as I walk closely with Him.

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends." John 15:13

"But God demonstrated His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment