Monday, December 28, 2009

Never Too Far.


It all started out about 33 years ago. There was a young man, barely into his 20's, moving from Sunny California to snowy, rainy, and often times dreary Chicago. There was a young girl, only in her teens, finishing up high school and living in Chicago all of her life. The two became next door neighbors and attraction quickly set in. As they met and became friends, they instantly fell in love, and in 3 months got married. The newlywed Catholic couple didn't really have a genuine purpose in life. One worked for a gas company and the other had yet to finish high school and decide whether or not to attend college. As a year went by, he became saved. God touched his heart in dramatic ways. His mom would send him Pastor Chuck's sermon tapes from Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa... and he would listen to them on his late night shifts to and from Texaco. As his love, passion and devotion grew for the Lord, his wife became angry and upset for "conforming" to Christianity. One night he told her, "Love... God has done GREAT things for me.... when I asked Him to enter my heart, I knew.. I just KNEW my life was changed, instantly.. His love can change you... He loves you, and desires you." That night, home alone, she knelt down on her knees, cried out to God and accepted Him as her Lord and Savior. Their lives were instantly changed.

As their marriage grew, their love for the Lord did as well. He began getting plugged into a church and leading Bible studies. His heart felt a tug by God to be more for Him than he expected or even wanted to be... stage fright had always kicked in and he didn't really know if what God had been calling him to do was what HE wanted to be doing. "Lord, how can I lead your people...every Sunday morning? I can't even get up on stage." As he begged and pleaded with the Lord, He continued to give this young man courage, and confirmation that this is what God had called him to. A phone call from his mother made it clear. One night she called and asked how things were going, him explaining to her that he had been leading Bible studies and began discussing some important things he learned when he attended Bible classes. Her response: "Son, you should really start a church... you would be a phenominal pastor." He then knew that the tug God had pulled on his heart wasn't a fad, and it wasn't just something temporary.

So from then on it began. He was leading Bible studies in his home, taping them, and sending them out to family in California. Family loved them... and as he continued leading Bible studies in his living room every Sunday night, God opened the door for a building, more people, and the peace to stand up in front of crowds to preach the good news. This man had now known everything God did in his life was for this specific purpose and calling.

The rest is history. 33 years later and my father and mother spent their entire marriage together serving, loving, and dedicating everything they breathed, ate, and slept to the Lord. Oh yea, they had three children too :) Me, Bob and Phil. As we grew up pastor's kids (PK's) it wasn't always easy. I don't think we all agreed that it was the life we had wanted... but in time, we found our own. I don't think I necessarily made Christ my OWN until I was about 19 years old. I don't believe I truly knew what it meant to walk with the Lord with all my heart, soul, and mind until I was about 20. God had everything in my life happen for a reason. I was a pastor's kid, but still did things MY OWN way. I didn't always follow the Christian rules, or the Bible, and there were more than a few times I had walked away. Sin, addiction, and heartbreak seemed to overflow my life. If you had seen me a year/two years ago, you would NEVER know I was a Christian. Boys were my ultimate obsession, and all the things that came along with an earthly relationship, NOT a Christian, God lead relationship. I would spend night after night questioning and wondering, "WHEN will I grow out of this? I want God so much... but I'm so far away from Him, how can He possibly love me? Or think of me? How can he possibly forgive me? This would be the what... 150th time He's forgiven me? No. He couldn't. And honestly, I'm too ashamed to run back. I've gone too far, and honestly, it's too late. Nothing I could do or say would keep me close to the Lord. Plus what will people think? They'll call me a hypocrite. They'll say to me that I'm just kidding myself... that its STUPID to walk with God... there IS NO God! Are you crazy?!" Yea... I knew what they would say.

I'm sure that's how many people feel once they've walked away from God. They feel like it's too late... that God can't possibly forgive them or accept them because of what they've done or attempted to do. Know this: God created you. So not only does He KNOW your entire life planned out from BEFORE conception to after death, He wrote your life story, your love story, and ALL in between before you were even born. So you think He doesn't know about your screw ups, mishaps, and wanderings? Sure it grieves God... but He knew about it. He isn't shocked. You shouldn't be shocked that He knows either. So, if Jesus died on the cross for these VERY reasons.... don't you think it's never too late to run back to God? The cross isn't temporary, it isn't something that was just for the sins IN the moment. I'm not justifying sin and I'm not saying it's ok to sin and then always ask for forgiveness because God will forgive.... that's taking advantage. Examine your heart if that's the case. What I am saying is that the cross is for everyday. Everyday we sin and fall short of the glory of God...but how blessed are we that we have such a merciful, forgiving, LOVING God that He knew all this... Christ died on the cross for us!!!! For our very sins. Our short comings. Our wandering off on paths we should never wander. God loves you so much... if ONLY YOU KNEW... if only you knew. He desires you... your life and all that's in it. He wants to bless you and show you how powerful His love is... if only you'll let Him. Just like my sweet adoring dad told my mom when they first got married... "Love... God loves you. and He loves me. He wants ALL of me... He can change your life... He's instantly changed mine. His love is everlasting. Give Him your life... He changed mine." My mom knew in her heart.... God tugged her heart that night, and she accepted Him into her life to be her all in all.

All I'm saying is this. You are NEVER, and I mean never ever too far away from God that you cannot run back. He's been sitting back waiting for you to! He loves you SO MUCH, and He has a beautiful plan sketched out for your life... if only you would let Him unfold it.

Two years ago, you would have met me and never known I was a Christian. You would never think "She loves God." because it clearly didn't show or was not evident in my life. I'm a pastors kid, but I screw up. In my early years I screwed up... A LOT. But God is good, He is faithful, He showed me through so many heartbreaks, addictions, obsessions, and sins, that regardless of it all, He wanted all of me.. and His love can't come second best to ANYTHING... it is the best, of all time. My life is changed. Forever. Through the heartaches now, through the good times, through the struggles, and the circumstances... God is all knowing, ever present, and has given me NO greater joy than I have now. I owe it all to Him! He is TRULY amazing :) My screw ups, my sins, the many many times I've walked away from Him, the heartbreaks, the hurt, the pain, all of it has not only brought me closer to the Lord, but He has used it for HIS glory.... ahhh who would have thought?! :) God, using all my sin, to glorify Him and to make me a stronger person?! Not only that... but He's used my sin to encourage others, and to show them that His love is perfect :) Only God would do that.... He is simply amazing.

It's never too late. You're never too far. Run to Him. He desires you. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment